Sunday, April 7, 2013

A delicate balance

A few, quick words regarding a post I recently read on the Small Steps blog, which I found very moving. The author describes the turmoil of introducing new medication and the negative effects that can sometimes accompany it; a subject that is particularly relevant to me at the moment.

I'm currently in the sixth week of introducing Dexamfetamine to my tired haze. Despite having Narcolepsy for over 15 years (diagnosed eleven), I've never been given the opportunity to try an amphetamine based drug. It was not a decision I took lightly. I'd read about the horrific side affects that can occur, but decided it was worth the risk. At first there was a definite 'lift' to my tiredness. Of course not wanting to waste any unexpected energy, I quickly headed to the DIY shop and bought enough paint to redecorate the entire house! A redecorated lounge and half repainted hallway later, and the haze is settling once more. Despite reaching the maximum recommended dose of amphetamine, I'm still having to nap during the day. A fact that I find bewildering.

The balance can so easily tip from confident control to unmanageable chaos. PWN are fragile, but also incredibly resilient. I remain determined to strike a positive balance and will never lose hope that one day science will provide a solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment