Sunday, August 18, 2013

Narcolepsy: Not Alone Campaign

This is my contribution (can you guess the sci-fi film?! Answer below!) to Julie Flygale's Narcolepsy: Not Alone campaign, where PWN and supporters are invited to add photo's of themselves to a worldwide gallery map. I think this a great idea and found some of the contributions really heart warming.



Narcolepsy can be an incredibly isolating condition to have at times. I know all too well the feeling of loneliness at not being able to communicate my difficulties/limitations to others. In the past I've been ashamed by my symptoms, when I should have been celebrating my achievements in spite of them.  The online narcolepsy community is a very welcoming and supportive place. I've yet to actually meet another PWN in the flesh, but found chatting to others online who truly understand more rewarding than I could ever imagine. I'm in awe of my amazing virtual friends and look forward to meeting some of them in person soon at the forthcoming Narcolepsy UK conference this September. Links to some of the many online support groups can be found here. Stop by and say hi, I can guarantee you won't regret it.

(My sign was inspired by the classic sci-fi film, Close Encounters of the
 Third Kind, which has the tag-line "we are not alone")

2 comments:

  1. Claire - this is such a great post, thank you so much for joining the NARCOLEPSY: NOT ALONE campaign. I'm so honored that you are included in this project. Ahhh, Close Encounters of the Third Kind - we are not alone! That's AWESOME!! Thanks for explaining. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure to be part of Julie, just sorry it took me so long to get around to doing it! It's a great idea and I'm really pleased that it's going so well for you :) Yet another amazing step towards raising awareness :)

      Delete